Happy Humans 🙂
Another great year for we extant hominans, love you all! And we’re still going strong.
Still the One (1976)
We’ve been together since way back when
Sometimes I never want to see you again
But I want you to know, after all these years
You’re still the one I want whisperin’ in my ear
You’re still the one — who can scratch my itch
Still the one — and I wouldn’t switch
We’re still having fun, and you’re still the one
Sooo… what’s been happening last year that makes us proud humans, again, and … dare I say it (I dare!) … optimists. Let’s have a little peek:
2011 was India’s first Polio free year, YAY!!! and India’s had a record wheat harvest in 2011 ( China too! ) and soon in 2012 as well. Fantastic!
People around the world are continuing to move away from the muddy farm labour and out of sweaty factory work into more pleasant people contact service jobs. Incomes and Energy availability are continuing to increase globally.
Even our Dark Green friends are realising that human development is what will make our world a better place, for populations AND the environment: “Environmentalism has long imagined that development, modernization and technology are the source of our problems, but they are now the only solutions” and again: “Since it is at least possible – if not indeed likely – that human creativity, imagination and ingenuity will create radically different social, cultural and political worlds in the future than exist today, greater effort should be made to represent these possibilities …” Great stuff … from people usually hard to convince.
Violence continues to decrease across the globe and caring increases yearly. Steven Pinker fascinatingly documents these too often forgotten facts in his 2011 book: The Better Angels Of Our Nature. Watch the talk here and the evidence here. ” For reason does, Pinker holds, point to a particular kind of morality. “We prefer life to death, and happiness to suffering, and we understand that we live in a world in which others can make a difference to whether we live well or die miserably.” Well said! 🙂
How were the human’s resources going in 2011? Much to the chargin of our Neo-Malthusian mates … pretty good! (hat tip to David Middleton at WUWT) . First up are the base metals (with chromium, copper, nickel, tin and tungsten as proxies) with production increasing and costs decreasing.
“The world isn’t running out of water either. The UN FAO Aquastat data base showed that in the year 2000, the world’s total renewable water resource was 53,730 x 10^9 m3/yr. The total withdrawal was estimated to be 2,871 x 10^9 m3/yr. That’s a 5% utilization rate.” Well said again David! Facts over fiction, evidence over emotion, anytime. When political obstacles are replaced by the natural spring of human ingenuity then water flows, abundantly 🙂 Food supply continues to increase ahead of population increases too.
What is happening to our natural world? Lets see with some human collected data 😉 Well, species (The Langur Monkey) are “surprisingly” becoming un-extinct again. Maybe we can do this with Neanderthals too! “When I read the logic behind the surprises, I can’t get rid of the impression that this field of biology is incredibly sloppy. For example, we “learn” that those folks “believed” that the primates had to live in the Northeastern Borneo only, in the jungle.” GroupThink anyone? Even Darwin’s tortoises are popping up!
Well then, what about Saving-The-Planet? You know … G-L-O-B-A-L W-A-R-M-I-N-G ?
Lets have a look at the “2012 Global Warming Report Card” (thanks to Steve Goddard)
The massive bulk of evidence indicates that nothing is wrong …
- Temperatures are below Hansen’s zero emissions after 2000 Scenario C
- Global temperatures are declining this century
- Sea level has been declining for several years, and is lower now than it was in 2003
- Arctic ice extent and area is the highest for the date since 2005
- Temperatures in western Greenland last year were the coldest since 1996
- Temperatures in Antarctica have been declining for 30 years
- Antarctic ice has been increasing for 30 years
- Winter snow extent is increasing, and has been near record highs in recent years
- Temperatures in Texas show no increase since 1895
- Drought in Australia is at historic lows
- Drought in the US is well below the mean
- Severe tornadoes are on the decline in the US
- US hurricane strikes are on the decline
- Intense hurricanes are on the decline
- Polar Bear populations have tripled
- Yellowstone Grizzly Bear populations have tripled
- USHCN raw thermometer data shows that the US has been cooling since 1895
- The ten deadliest floods in history all occurred with CO2 below 350 ppm
- The deadliest US hurricane, the most powerful US hurricane, and the deadliest US tornado all occurred with CO2 below 350 ppm
Let’s put this scam to bed in 2012. It has nothing to do with science, and everything to do with money and politics.
Happy Hominan Brady